Nutrition is Key
Proper nutrition is 80% of the weight loss battle. Eating the right foods, with the proper serving sizes at the right times is the hardest part of losing weight. We all know for the most part what we are doing wrong it just takes having the accountability to someone else to make you change. We don’t eat healthy and exercise just to look good. It is also about your health and the quality of life you want to have. It’s about getting healthy and staying that way. Losing weight, building up strength and stamina, lowering blood pressure, preventing the onset of diabetes and cardiovascular disease this will lead to a much higher quality of life. At SkinSport we want you to learn how to make the right food choices that will enable you to eat yourself healthy! Call us today to see what our nutrition program can do for you!
Healthy Living Plan
At Skin Sport Performance we will work with you on developing a plan that suits your lifestyle, your needs…a healthier YOU!.
What is the best thing to eat before exercising for energy and endurance?
Fueling exercise requires quality carbohydrates, lean protein heart-healthy fats, and fluids. Your muscles rely on complex carbohydrate filled foods like brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, fruits, and vegetables for a quick energy source. Protein is needed to build and maintain muscles and for healthy blood cells. Blood cells deliver nutrients and oxygen to working muscles.
Foods provide the gas to the body’s engine, and fluids provide the water to your body’s radiator. Without these crucial fuels and fluids, your body will have a hard time performing at its best.
Why is it so important to drink plenty of liquids during exercise?
Not only does being well hydrated improve your performance, it can save your life. Water acts as your body’s cooling system; without sufficient water during exercise your body temperature can reach dangerously high levels.
The best way to stay hydrated is to drink plenty of fluids with meals and drink about two cups (16 ounces) of water two hours before exercise. Monitor your hydration status through two simple measures:
- Weigh yourself before and after exercise and replace lost weight with 2 cups of fluids for each pound lost.
- Check the color of your urine. When you’re hydrated, your urine will be a light straw color.
How do you know if you’re getting the right amount of calories and nutrients?
Skin Sport will work with you to create the right plan for your lifestyle and fitness program. Our expertise in nutrition has created an enormous amount of success for our clients while maintaining energy and focus to achieve their wellness goals. It is not about diet drinks, powders and supplements…it’s about creating a lifestyle of healthy nutrition with real food!
Are there any benefits to exercising in the morning vs. at night?
The best advice is to just do it. There are no benefits to either time; it’s simply a matter of personal choice. Some people prefer morning exercise and the satisfaction that it is done without worrying that it will be squeezed out by their daily routine. Others prefer to exercise later in the day, when muscles are warmed up, and it helps revive them for the evening. The only caution is not to exercise close to bedtime, as the increase in body temperature and metabolism may interfere with sleep.
Can you lose weight without having to exercise?
We believe the best strategy is a combination of healthy nutrition and exercising. Exercise has other benefits that can help with weight loss and in your overall health and wellness. It improves mood and self-esteem, as well as reduces risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
Whatever level of fitness you are in, our training programs can teach you the most effective way to lose weight and most importantly how to maintain it. Healthy nutrition and working out go hand in hand in achieving and maintaining your ideal body.
Losing Weight to Look Better? More Reasons to Lose Weight
Sometimes people lose weight to look better. But there are weight loss benefits that are more significant, and perhaps more surprising, than just an improved appearance. If you’re thinking about going on a diet this spring, consider these benefits of weight loss.
- Weight loss gets your blood pumping. Your short-term goal may be to get fit this summer, but the changes you make to your diet and exercise habits may help you improve your vascular health. Why does that matter? Healthy arteries and veins help the heart work more effectively. A new study found that you could choose a either a low-fat or low-carb diet. Both provide the weight loss benefit.
- Weight loss gets your groove pumping. Losing weight will likely make you look better and feel better, but can it actually make you love better? Some research says it does. Losing weight may improve your lifestyle…physically, mentally and emotionally.
“Those who think they have no time for exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.”
At Skin Sport our programs are developed around you to create optimal success. By developing a wellness path, physically, you’ll be able to have a better understanding of your body and your body’s warning signs. You’ll understand and appreciate the relationship between sound nutrition and how your body performs. The physical dimension of wellness provides almost immediate beneficial results-both physical and psychological. The physical benefits of looking good and feeling terrific most often lead to the psychological benefits of enhanced self-esteem, self control determination and a sense of direction.
- As you follow your wellness path, you’ll begin to believe that – physically.
- It’s better to consume foods and beverages that enhance good health rather than those which impair it.
- It’s better to be physically fit than out of shape.
SkinSport Steps For Improving Physical Wellness / Physical Fitness
Physical wellness is the ability to apply your knowledge, motivation, commitment, behavior, self management, attitude, and skills toward achieving your personal fitness and health goals. Physical wellness can be maintained by applying the knowledge and skills of sound nutrition, exercise, and safety to everyday life.
- Exercise a minimum of three times a week for 20-30 minutes
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, and walk whenever possible
- Get consistent and adequate sleep
- Use seat belts and helmets, and encourage others to do so
- Learn to recognize early signs of illness
- Listen to your body
- Practice safe sex
- Eat breakfast – it’s the most important meal of the day
- Eat a variety of healthy foods
- Stop smoking and protect yourself against second-hand smoke
- Control your meal portions and try to eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day
- Use sugar, salt, fat, and alcohol in moderation
Supplements Our clients often ask us about nutritional supplements—are they are a good idea? Here is Scott’s take: sure—if you’re already committed to fitness and are eating healthy; if not, there’s no magic pill that’s going to help you! Below are the supplements Scott himself uses—all are made by Bio Trust because, says Scott, “I like their quality, I know the owners, and love their customer service.”
Protein Powder According to research, protein builds lean muscle, increases the feeling of being full, burns more calories as it is broken down easier than other types of nutrients, and is less likely to be stored as fat. For these reasons, Scott mixes this 100% whey protein powder into his smoothies twice a day. For more info Click here
Krill Oil Also known as Fish Oil or Omega-3 capsules, these supplements provide you with Omega-3 fatty acids, the healthy antioxidants found in fatty fish like salmon (without the risk of mercury intake that comes with frequently eating the fish itself). Omega-3s have been shown to lower cholesterol, fight pain, and promote weight loss. Click here for more info